Friday, July 13, 2018

Done- Five Minute Friday

I'm early today. I couldn't help but chuckle when I read the prompt for this week with all the wrestling I did over a BIG decision to be made.  I hope you can find some encouragement and relief even after something is a done deal.

Done.......

"You just gotta pull the trigger and let the chips fall where they may," my friend Matt said to me.

Easier said then done because there's no "undo" button for some of the choices we make. I hate making BIG decisions because I don't want to make the wrong one and have to live with the consequences.

Yet I think back to my younger days when I was applying for college. I was a candidate for a special HEOP grant program which meant more financial aid for college, BUT I would've needed to give up my summer after high school to attend an intensive prep program before beginning classes in the fall. I didn't want to do that and so I passed on the opportunity.

STOP

Sometimes I hate that timer! I wanted to finish the story, so here's what happened. 

After having second thoughts, I changed my mind and went for another interview with the program directors. It was too late. The door was now closed. They did not accept me into the program. I got to have my final summer before college to do what I wanted to do, but I also paid more money in the long run and had a harder time transitioning to college life in the fall. 

What encourages me though, is that God's plan for my life was still fulfilled. I was able to graduate from college and become a teacher. I chose a harder route, albeit I still arrived at my final destination.

With a BIG decision I needed to make this week, my Pastor said to me, "Whatever you decide, the kingdom of God is not going to fall because of it."

I would so prefer that God opens or closes a door to make decisions clear as crystal, but He does not always do that. Sometimes it is up to us and we just have to let the chips fall where they may because none know what the future holds. Once it's done, it's done.

Romans 8:28: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose." (NIV)

To see what others have done with this week's prompt check out www.fiveminutefriday.com

4 comments:

  1. so good to have others share their wisdom, isn't it? i hope you took your pastor to heart and made your decision already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh, 13 years ago my husband and I made a decision that we often questioned even years later. "Did we miss God?" The one thing I do know is that IF we did? He gave us the grace we needed. And, today, we know that THIS time when the same type of thing was before us? We knew without a shadow of doubt that we were in His perfect will and timing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes, you never know...I'm personally grateful for the path that led you to Five Minute Friday, Leigh, and gave us the opportunity to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all your comments, and encouragement. I made my decision and have had mixed feelings about it, but am moving forward.

    ReplyDelete