Friday, November 10, 2017

Silence- Five Minute Friday

This week's prompt surprised me. It is gift we rarely find in our culture of constant noise.  I hope all are encouraged to work harder to find the time to cherish this gift. We all need it.

silence........

the absence of sound
hard to find
perhaps in the wee hours of the night
or before dawn
something somewhere is always buzzing, 
humming, zooming, ticking

my thoughts can be so loud sometimes
they'll swirl inside my head like glitter in a jar
I can't always get them to settle, but when I do
ah! the energy settles, the silence seeps in
peace can come

if only I could silence more in my head
deadlines, schedules, hurts, and ho hums
dump, settle in silence
sift through the nuggets worth keeping
away with the nonsense

gift of silence, secure, surround 

STOP

1 Kings 19:12-13 "And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave. Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" (NIV)

To see how others are finding silence check out www.fiveminutefriday.com


To help you unplug more check out Pico Iyer's book and a Ted Talk on, "The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere"





3 comments:

  1. Love this, Leigh..."like glitter in a jar" reminded me of the fireflies I have caught, and then, guiltily, released.

    They were never meant to be captive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glitter in a jar... I love it! What a great way to describe how our thoughts whirl around, so hard to settle down. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete