Sunday, October 15, 2017

Invite-Five Minute Friday on Sunday

Oh how I needed more time for this one! I was up half the night Saturday wrestling with what I could write and how I could communicate what this word means to me. 

I was brought back to life defining invites I have received through the years. We never know what someone or something can lead to unless we take a few steps down the path to explore. I remembered how each decade there have been some pretty significant invitations I've received and taken people up on over the course of my life. I ran out of time to share all of them. Again, I am thankful and I see each one as a token, wonderful blessings that I cannot deny or forget.

invite......

The First Decade-

She was warm and loved to have me stay over. My Aunt Onie let me sleep in a cushy twin bed with a pink, satin pillowcase. I'd awake to the best scrambled eggs with toast and coffee in the morning. Her home was a place of comfort and safety. I always wanted to escape there.

The Second Decade-

A new family welcomed me to stay with them as long as I needed to when my birth parents were not able to take care of me any longer. They invited me to church and my journey of faith in coming to know the great One began.

The Third Decade-

A friend stopped by my home to tell me about a special grant program at a nearby university. I checked it out and discovered ESL was my niche! I got my Masters for free in one year and have been teaching ESL ever since.

STOP

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come buy and eat! Come, buy winning milk without money and without cost." (Isaiah 55:1 NIV)


I didn't have time to add the other decades, but wanted to include them here and so this is after the timer rang.

The Fourth Decade-

I developed uterine fibroids that grew to be the size of a six month pregnancy. I was just a little bit uncomfortable to say the least. A friend recommended a wonderful doctor and I was given the option of an abdominal myomectomy. Never having surgery before, I felt challenged in my faith walk to go ahead with the surgery and leave the results to God. I almost backed out, but was encouraged by Hebrews 11:1 as a promise. "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." I went through the surgery and my doctor came out of the OR to tell my mom, "It went so well, it makes me nervous." God did not miraculously take away my fibroids. He walked through the fire with me and I came out feeling stronger and better than ever. 

During this time I also had orthodontia performed which was very painful as well. For over three years I went through several types of wires, tightening, rubber bands, teeth removed and finally retainers. I got through and was left with a nice smile that I am happy to share and bless others with.

I am so glad I looked to God and invited Him to walk with me through those hard times.

In this Fifth Decade-

I was invited to take part in the Edible School Yard Academy at Berkeley in California. After five days there, I did not want to come home. I had tasted of farm fresh organic produce, spent time in a children's garden, and fell in love with every part of it. I was invited to not only taste and see how good real food is, but to embrace principles of sustainable agriculture and invite others to do the same.

I began to shop at a farmer's market before finally joining a local CSA (Community Shared Agriculture) and composting at home. I am healthier and so is my community for the waste I now reduce.

I am so thankful for the comfort, the food and the healing that have come to me  through other's love and God's grace in my own life.

To see what others do to invite check out www.fiveminutefriday.com



3 comments:

  1. You fed my spirit with your words, Leigh. Thank you. Visiting from FMF. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I never stopped to consider all the invitations in my life. But thanks to your post I am doing that now! I love getting the chance to see what others have to say about the prompts each Friday. Your FMF Neighbor #83.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the impact of invitations on your life. I enjoyed reading a part of your story. Your FMF neighbor, Jolene

    ReplyDelete