Friday, February 26, 2010

Treasure in Jars of Clay

"If you only look at us, you might well miss the brightness. We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. That's to prevent anyone from confusing God's incomparable power with us. As it is, there's not much chance of that. You know for yourselves that we're not much to look at." 2 Corinthians4:7-10 (The Message) Another words, treasure in jars of clay. I reflected on this passage after hanging up with my sister, Jeneen, on the phone. Just yesterday we were chatting on Facebook and she began to share with me some words she kept toying around with for a possible song. I knew she was musical, but didn't know she did any writing until then. The creative juices were flowing within and we actually signed off so she could get to writing and I could get to mine. Today, when I talked with her she told me she started a blog, Trinkets From the Heart. Her sharing made me think. Jewels of creativity, I did not know she had, were now beginning to shine forth. This led me to review the passage about Treasure in Jars of Clay.
Whether, it's my neighbor Miss E from the laundry room with her long, thin wisps of white hair diminished from chemo. treatments, Philene, the single mother of two, who works at Wal-Mart, or my beloved sister, Jeneen, a wife, homemaker and mother of 4, they ALL contain this treasure. Treasure carried in the "unadorned pots of (their)ordinary lives". There is softness, honesty, creativity, love, spunk, but most importantly, faith. Faith that says, "Life can really stink sometimes, but I know God still loves me."
Isaiah 45:3 states: "I will give you treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places,.." I am beginning to realize more and more that treasure and creativity is sometimes cloaked in the very secret places of people's ordinary lives. There is great treasure and gifting in each one of us. Great faith seen through the simple steps of continuously moving onward and upward, in spite of great challenges and difficulties.
How pertinent to our own growth and faith to slow down, take notice, and get to know people more and what they carry within. To share, rejoice, and yes, even weep. How simple, secret, and ordinary the pots. How bright, unyielding, and valuable the treasure of creative jewels and faith held within them, these unadorned jars of clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment