Saturday, July 18, 2015

Free-Five Minute Friday

The prompt surprised me this week especially in regards to where I am in my life now. I find myself not willing to settle for less than best. As I become more cognizant of how short life is and how quickly it flies by, I find that I need to decide what is most important. How is my time best spent and with whom?

 Steve Jobs asked himself almost daily, "If this was the last day of my life, is this where I want to be and what I want to be doing?" 

Ironic that he passed away at such a young age, but he truly lived life to the fullest. When we come to that point, recognizing our own limitations and acknowledge the inevitable boundary of our own mortality, I think it can be very freeing. So that is the background behind the poem I composed in five minutes. May it bless and challenge you to want to live more freely in your own lives.

Free

Free to say yes or no

Free to stay or go

Free to make decisions 

Decisions I can live with

No longer controlled by pleasing others

Now living with a higher standard

Not spending time in a place of unsurety

Knowing where the lines are frees me

I can stand tall knowing I am free

Free to choose and be me

Security in knowing a strong rock beneath my feet

I know what works and doesn't now

There are no strings manipulating me


To see what others are thinking check out Kate's blog where our writing comes together each week at www.katemotaung.com


No comments:

Post a Comment