Sunday, December 12, 2010

The War

It's been over a week since I tried the drops of rubbing alcohol and I continue to find those disgusting, evil white bugs on the Begonia. Not to mention, now the Lamb's ear plant in my classroom is dying. It has something on it as well and the leaves are no longer lush and green, but slowly shriveling up. The lady at Adam's warned me that it wasn't meant to grow inside, but I wanted to try it anyway. I thought my students would love to feel it's fuzzy leaves. I know I do. The leaves still feel soft and fuzzy, but are now dying. I hate it! I hate that shriveled up look with branches listlessly hanging. I don't know what else to do. How can I help it? How can I win this war?

I am taken back to the story of Hanukkah. Hanukkah is the Festival of Lights. The story goes that Jerusalem was invaded and the Jews were expected to follow the ways of the Greeks. Their temple was desecrated and the menorah taken away. For two years, a group called the Maccabees fought tirelessly. They hid in the mountains where it was safe and slowly overcame until they were able to regain Jerusalem and the temple. Once victorious. they cleaned it up and found they only had enough oil to light the menorah for one night. God did a miracle and the oil lasted eight long nights until they could get more. It took them two years, but they won. They faced the darkness head on and regained what was lost.

Back in September, the middle fingernail on my right hand got slammed while trying to close the hatch on the back of my SUV. Ouch!!! It hurt so bad. For about 10 minutes or so the pain radiated through out my whole nail. I never knew I could feel such intense pain in such a small area of my body. I had no ice to put on it.

Today the pain is gone, but it is nasty as ever to look at. The bottom half of the nail completely blackened. I've grown weary of seeing it and explaining to all who ask, "What happened to your finger?". It is a horrible reminder of the pain I felt that day.

Yet there is hope! About a week ago I noticed the cuticle is no longer back and I can see a new nail starting to come forth. It has a long way to go, but there is progress. How I wish it would grow out faster. How I wish it didn't take so darn long. Kind of like my plants that have been brutally attacked by the evil insect world. I want those horrible pests dead and gone once and for all. I want the new leaves to burst forth and its fullness to be restored.

Joshua 1:9 reads,"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Things never seem to go easy. At least not with regards to things worth keeping. The war continues to rage on daily, but there is hope. I don't know that my Begonia will definitely regain it's robustness and beauty, but it is worth fighting for and protecting. I am not giving up. After this morning's application of more alcohol, I am hoping there will be no more bugs. In its place, I would love to see some new leaves sprouting.

No comments:

Post a Comment