Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mom- Five Minute Friday

Happy Mom's Day weekend to everyone. Although I don't have children of my own, I do have a mom, who adopted me as a teen. She made herself available to nurture and protect me at such a critical time in my life. I cannot say enough about her and how great she is. 

Yet what came to mind this morning is for all the women who are not moms and have perhaps felt left out of all the hooplah surrounding this weekend.  Even though we may or may not birth children of our own, we can and still do birth something. As creative beings made in the image of a creative God, we birth, we feed, and we nurture.



mom

Moments

Of

Magnificence & miracles


That's what women become a vessel for when they engage in creation. Not just the joining of cells in our wombs to bring forth new life, precious and perfect, but anything that we allow to originate and develop deep within our minds and souls. Something at some point comes forth. 

What shall we birth and nurture?

What shall we leave behind when we are gone?

Only we can choose what we will allow and make ourselves available to.

Amy Carmichael had no children of her own, but availed herself to mother many in India. Mother Theresa did the same.

To learn more about Amy Carmichael check out www.amycarmichael.org

STOP

To see what others are musing about check out www.katemotaung.com

1 comment:

  1. Such a good word, Leigh! There's such a tension in the need to honor mothers and the hurt that honoring them can bring to others. I'm acutely aware of it, on my first mother's day as a mom. Words and actions are life-giving, as much as the biological processes of motherhood. And wow, Carmichael always blows me away!

    ReplyDelete