Saturday, April 3, 2010

People or Techno. ?

Years ago I heard Barbara Streisand sing, "People who need people are the luckiest people in the world." I can't remember the whole song, but those words have always stood out to me. Somehow though, with all of this technology today,we seem to have gotten away from that. Now a days it's all about being independent and getting more done faster. Don't get me wrong. Technology has improved the quality of life for many and I love my computer. I love the easy access and it's time saving attributes, but I also love people.

Yesterday, I climbed onto the elliptical machine at the gym, plugged in my headphones to the TV, and flipped to CMT. TY Pennington was on doing one of his infamous home makeovers. This time it was for a man who was paralyzed from a gun shot. He needed a lot of assistance. His home was not handicapped accessible. So Ty and his team set about making this wonderful new home, loaded with all kinds of neat gadgets. Rodney would not need any assistance for moving through the house and bathing any longer. He would now have voice activated lifts to move him and lower him into the shower or bath. One of the carpenters was demonstrating how this new gadget worked and said, "Now Rodney won't need anybody to help him. He'll be totally independent."

"Hmmm. I don't know if that's all that good," I thought to myself. I totally understand the desire to be independent, but I also know there is a blessing in caring for and serving. In John 13:4-5;14 it reads, "...so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet... 'Now that I your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet.'" Furthermore, Jesus stated in Matthew 25:44-45, "They will also answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

My mom, Linda has had 12 surgeries over the past decade or so. Each time, her movement was limited to some degree. With her back or shoulder surgeries, she needed help getting dressed or getting in and out of the shower. She was unable to do common household chores like laundry or vacuuming, but my dad was always there. He dressed her, made the bed, did the laundry, vacuumed and made her breakfast. If you were to ask him about it, I know he would say, "It is a privilege to care for and serve my wife in this way." Gadgets don't say that. They can't. They simply operate according to instruction.

By 3:40 p.m. I finished my run on the elliptical, stretched out, gathered my things from the locker room and headed over to see my friend, Keith. I started to tell him about the Home Makeover show I was watching and asked my bedridden friend, "Keith, if you had a choice between technology to help you or people, which would you pick?" Keith didn't even have to think about it. He was diagnosed with Polio many years ago and has relied on caring people to assist him for years now. Instantly, he replied, "People."

Gadgets are fun and can make life easier, but they don't say 'I love you' with each movement they make. They assist, but should never replace anyone because after all, people who need people, really are the luckiest people in the world.

2 comments:

  1. hi, I hope you are continuing to gather stories for your next book. You really have a gift with words. I fully expect someday to see your name and book on the list of new authors. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight, the gadgets can be very helpful but they do not nourish the soul.

    Bless ya!
    Jay

    ReplyDelete